Thread: Deltec NF511 Nitrate Filter

Deltec NF511 Nitrate Filter

I have been using this filter for a long time but it has never fully fliudised the sulphur media, and ends up channeling. Now in the dead spots the sulphur beads are covered in a dark brown. Is this good/bad, desirable/undesirable. What is it, should I leave it alone, any ideas. Regards Winfiledblue
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi

I would remove the pellets and give them a good wash in tank water as the sulphur pellets looks as if they have started to become coated in sulphur reducing bacteria and possibly gone sour in that area. Have you stripped the pump and checked it with regards to the amount of fluidisation you are getting?

The pellets also need changing from time to time as they are consumed by sulphur reducing bacterias so depending on the age of the pellets they may require swapping out.
    Regards Tony

Thank you for your advice

Thank you for your advice

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Hi

I would remove the pellets and give them a good wash in tank water as the sulphur pellets looks as if they have started to become coated in sulphur reducing bacteria and possibly gone sour in that area. Have you stripped the pump and checked it with regards to the amount of fluidisation you are getting?

The pellets also need changing from time to time as they are consumed by sulphur reducing bacterias so depending on the age of the pellets they may require swapping out.
    Regards Tony